Description + Attributes:
This native evergreen is a hard-working, versatile specimen. The narrow, pyramid shape makes it a natural choice for windbreaks. It requires almost no care when used as a hedge or screen. Pairs of these hardy trees make great accents for doors and garden gates. And single trees soften house corners.
Tall and elegant, the American arborvitae may be the right solution to your landscaping challenges.
- Features tiny, scale-like leaves that are packed closely together in overlapping rows on branchlets, displaying in a flattened, fan-like spray. The leaves change from bright green in the summer to a multitude of rich yellow-brown-green hues in the winter.
- Grows in a pyramidal shape.
- Adapts well to shearing and shaping.
- Releases a pleasing aroma when leaves are squeezed.
- Yields light brown or reddish-brown oblong cones that are ⅜–½" long and persist through winter. Cone scales are blunt-tipped and separate from each other at the base.
- Can be planted 3' apart for a low-maintenance hedge.
Height 40’-60’ & Width 10’-20’
Excellent nesting/cover for birds. Great food source for birds, rabbits and squirrels.
Acidic, loamy, moist, rich, sandy, well drained, and clay soils.
Moderate Drought Tolerance
SKU: 2GAL - AM. ARBORVITAE